Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Creamy Delicious Overnight Oatmeal

I have found that I write the best blogs when I am supposed to be doing my homework, or am otherwise pressed for time. This week I have four papers, a test, two quizzes, and a group project. But, writing this blog is the right thing to do, because I have to share this with the world.
As a student, wife, part-time employee, and full-time doggy mom, I find myself constantly short on time, but always hungry. Making breakfast every morning is simply not going to happen. This year I finally found the solution! Overnight oatmeal. A totally customizable, five minute recipe that you can make ahead and have breakfast for days? Where have you been all my life.
Now, my first experience with this magical breakfast was a bit lackluster. I made it with oats, milk, and fruit. It was convenient, but ultimately disappointing. It was basically a cold blob of oats and purple. It lacked the creamy, silken yumminess I was hoping for. I gave up on it for a while. Until I found this recipe on Iowa Girl Eats.
Sidebar - Can I just say that I love Kristen? Not in a creepy stalker way, but in a "we should exchange emails and then totally hang out right now" kind of way. (Name that movie).
She has some great fresh, light recipes. Awesome for summer. Which I'm told is coming soon. I'm also told it's going to snow tomorrow, so I have my doubts.
And I can really appreciate another Iowa foodie.
And I met her at the HyVee Beer, Wine, and Food Expo this year. She made butternut squash gnocci with a  beer sauce and other things that I don't remember, but I know were delish.

Anyway....

Overnight oatmeal is made by combining one cup of yogurt, half a cup of any style oats, and whatever else your heart desires or your fridge holds and letting it sit overnight (or for at least an hour) in your fridge.
That's it! So easy! So fast! So filling! So customizable! So make it now! (Sorry for yelling. I'm just really excited for you to try this! oops.)
The oats are chewy. The yogurt is creamy. The result is delicious.

Ingredients:
1 c yogurt - you can use any kind. I like vanilla.
1/2 c oats, any style
1 c of your favorite toppings - I like berries, nuts, chocolate chips, cinnamon, and/or a drizzle of honey

Directions:
Combine yogurt and oats completely in a bowl. Spoon into tupperware or small mason jars. Top as desired. Let stand in the fridge at least an hour or overnight.


Enjoy your new favorite breakfast!

-- Krissy

No comments:

Post a Comment