Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Peanut Butter Banana Breakfast Bars


A couple weeks ago I was travelling to North Carolina for work. It was an early flight and, like every other time I've had an early flight, I couldn't sleep the night before. Typical. 
So, like any rational person would do in that situation, I baked.
I am a couple weeks away from leaving Colorado to go back to Iowa, so I am trying to get as much of my food cooked and gone as possible. I took stock of my kitchen. This included some old bananas, a little oatmeal and honey, and whole wheat flour. I decided on Peanut Butter Banana Breakfast Bars, since I wouldn't have anything for breakfast otherwise.
I had never made them before, but I skimmed a recipe and made changes to use up what I had on hand. That's what you should do. Anything you need to get rid of, just throw it in here. It's a very forgiving recipe.

Peanut Butter Banana Breakfast Bars
adapted from Eat. Drink. Love - Banana Oat Breakfast Cookies

Ingredients:
2 mashed bananas
3/4 cup peanut butter - crunchy or creamy
1/4 - 1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil (or unsweetened applesauce for a low-fat option)
1 tsp vanilla extract 
1 cup rolled oats 
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruit (optional)

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350F.
Combine bananas, peanut butter, honey, oil/applesauce, and vanilla in a bowl. In another bowl combine oats, flour, and baking soda. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet, until a thick batter forms. Stir in any chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruit. 
Spoon dough on to a greased or parchment lined baking sheet, about 1/4 cup per bar. Form into bars or cookies. Bake 15-20 minutes. 

UPDATE: I have been making these as an rushing off to class/work/meeting breakfasts. I just make  them according to these directions, bake, and put into individual snack-size freezer bags. I can grab one on the way out the door and it's thawed by the time I get where I'm going. I got a little overzealous with the last batch and made 1/3 cup bars, so I've been splitting them in half and pushing them off on my friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment